Two Winter Warmer Recipes for a Freezing Cold Day
Today’s Black Friday, and after a long day of Christmas shopping, you might need a little something to warm you up.
Whether you’ve been running around your local shops, working outdoors or have just returned home from a frosty commute, here are two winter warmer recipes that are sure to heat you up…
When it’s cold outside, there’s nothing like a casserole to heat things up, and this hearty sausage based recipe is sure to hit the spot…
- A dozen good quality pork sausages (or a vegetarian alternative such as Quorn)
- Two table spoons of sunflower oil
- Six rashers of rindless streaky bacon (optional)
- Two white onions, thinly sliced
- Two crushed garlic cloves
- Two tea spoons of chilli powder (a lovely winter warmer)
- 300ml of chicken (or vegetable) stock
- Two tablespoons of tomato purée
- One bay leaf
- Two tablespoons of mixed dried herbs
- Three sprigs of fresh thyme
- One tin of mixed beans
- 100ml of red wine (optional, but recommended)
- One tablespoon of brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the sausages for 10 minutes until brown. Transfer to a casserole dish or larger pan and set aside. Fry the bacon rashers (if using) then add to the sausages.
- Add a little more oil (if required) and fry the onions for five minutes until soft, then add the garlic and cook for a further three minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle over the chilli power and cook for a few seconds longer.
- Add the tomato purée, stock, brown sugar and herbs to the mix and stir. Pour wine over (or water if you’d prefer not to use wine) and bring to a steady simmer.
- Carefully pour mixture into a pan with sausages and bacon (if using), return to simmer, reduce the heat, cover the pan loosely with a lid and allow to gently simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and rinse beans, add to the mix and cook for a further ten minutes until the sauce is thick.
- Serve up with bread, get the family together and tuck in!
Spiced Orange Mocha
Perfect as an lovely accompaniment to the casserole or as an indulgent after dinner treat, this sweet and spicy beverage has winter warmer written all over it…
- Seven whole cinnamon cloves
- Two cups of water
- Two cups of milk
- One large orange
- Half a cup of packed brown sugar
- A quarter cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cinnamon sticks
- Instant coffee granules
- Half a tablespoon of rum extract
- Carefully removed peel from the orange (set aside) and squeeze its juice until you extract around a third of cup (add a little water if necessary).
- Place orange peel, cinnamon and cloves into a double layered square of cotton cheese cloth, pull up the corners and tie with string to make a spice bag.
- Add the orange juice, spice bag, water, brown sugar, cocoa, milk and coffee granules to a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Cover for 10 minutes, remove spice bag and stir in the rum extract.
- Serve in your favourite mug, kick back and enjoy!