Today We’re Celebrating: The Things Dads Say
With Father’s Day fast approaching, we thought it would be quite fitting to celebrate the many amusing things dads say.
Popularly known as Dad-isms, these often short, sharp phrases are used by the male parent to bestow wisdom or teach life lessons – and sometimes they’re so random it’s hard to tell what their purpose is!
Here’s a list of 10 typical Dad-isms you may just recognise…
- Don’t ask me, ask your mother
- Do you think I’m made of money?
- You are NOT going out dressed like that
- Who said life was supposed to be fair?
- Don’t let the bed bugs bite…
- You don’t know you’re born
- If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen
- You didn’t beat me. I let you win!
- I wasn’t sleeping; I was just resting my eyes
- As long as you live under my roof, you live under my rules
Most of our dads have used most of these phrases at one time or another, and despite our wry smiles when they do it, many of us continue the tradition by passing at least some of these snippets on as we progress to parenthood ourselves.
As a parent, have you ever asked any of your children “And would you jump off a cliff if *insert friend’s name* did it?”. Some dads can be quirky, out of date, well-meaning and totally embarrassing, but we wouldn’t have them any other way.
If you are still looking for the perfect Father’s Day present, why not check out our specially selected range of gift experiences? Whether he’s into driving fast cars, honing his cooking skills, flying up, up and away or being a general culture vulture, turn your words into a meaningful gesture this year and give him something special on 16th June.
Feel free to share your Dad-isms with us.